Saturday 5 September 2015

#CountryKids a sporty weekend in Cumbria

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

The Bank Holiday weekend turned in to a bit of a sporting bonanza for us with two days of outdoor sports. We started with our Parkrun at Fell Foot. My son was due to complete his 10th run and my daughter was marshalling. She was kitted up in hi-vis and given an arrow and set off for her position:


Its such a fabulous location for a family friendly run set as it is on parkland and in a meadow:


My son duly completed his Parkrun and will now be entitled to a special t-shirt. For the first time ever he was first in his age category too:


He celebrated with an outdoor game of table tennis with his big sister:


On the Sunday we headed off nice and early up to Grasmere Sports. We were just in time for the opening ceremony:


 
This time both children were being active participants with my daughter having a valiant go at Cumberland wrestling in both the U12 mixed and U15 girls' competitions. No prizes this time though:


The fell running events start in the arena, cross the main road and head up the side of the valley. It makes for a dramatic backdrop but I'm sure most of the competitors don't have time to appreciate it:



This time my son was in the under 9 event so 'only' had to run 400 m up the hill and back again, it was a slope that an awful lot of runners in all age categories could only walk up:


In the end he finished 14th out of 38th and moved into joint second in the club championship with 2 races to go:


Not content with a tough fell race he also entered the 7/8 year old boys's sprints. He had his best result yet with 3rd in his heat but with so many entrants he didn't make the final (he gave me his consolation prize of Grasmere Gingerbread!):


One of the most fun sports taking place was the tug of war which anyone could take part in. Even I had a go as part of a group representing Cumbrian ladies vs everyone else. I am pleased to say we won! The children seemed to manage to have quite a few goes sometimes on the same side and sometimes against each other:



There was also time to sit and enjoy displays of Trial biking by Inch Perfect. Not sure I'd ever want to try this out:


I think my children quite fancy a trial bike though...

 An excellent day out and we will be back next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people leave a message