Friday 17 October 2014

#CountryKids at Kendal Wool Gathering 2014

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

Last weekend saw the return of Kendal Wool Gathering at K Village to celebrate the town's wool heritage. It is a great mix of showing both a variety of sheep and the goods that are created from their wool. Our first port of call was the sheep tent:


There were several different breeds being shown by their owners. Not sure I can remember the names of any of them!


My daughter also got to hold a recently hatched chick:


It was a great way to see close up these lovely animals and to be allowed to stroke them.


Some of the breeds date back to the Celtic era:


My daughter got to hold one of the lambs but my phone was playing up so I couldn't capture the moment..

Then we wandered around the indoor craft stalls that had loads of tempting locally made woollen crafts. Luckily for my bank balance I had forgotten to bring cash with me so we didn't buy anything! There was also a video showing how they recreated an iconic Kendal photo of sheep being brought to the market:


We weren't there for any of the demonstrations and I couldn't persuade the children to try weaving. I do hope that it is on again next year and that we can spend more time there.


1 comment:

  1. Coombe Mill (Fiona)18 October 2014 at 11:13

    what a great activity to remind people of the local heritage. It's great that you got to go and meet the different breeds of sheep and that your daughter got to be hands on with the animals. I hope you get to go again next year and explore it more. Thanks for linking up with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message