Friday 29 August 2014

#CountryKids Broad Haven beach Pembrokeshire

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall


One of best things about our holiday was the beach at Broad Haven itself. It was just 100 metres from our hostel:


As soon as we reached the village the first thing my children wanted to do was head straight to the beach:



A lack of swimming gear and towels was not a deterrent to my son heading into the surf:




He did finally realise that maybe he was overdressed for swimming so he at least took his top off (though why he didn't take off the joggers I don't know!):



He was very quickly having a swim:



It wasn't long before his sister had stripped down to the bare minimum and had joined him:




After that initially dip we realised that wet suits were going to be required and headed to the local gift shop to get the children kitted out. The shop owner was very forbearing as it took 4 attempts to get the right size for my son - his is larger than his taller older sister!

Once we had eaten with the rest of the group that evening we all headed back down to the beach to enjoy the sunset. This was my daughter and her new friend heading for a twilight dip:  


The next morning the entire group headed to the beach and very soon the boys were being told off for climbing up Lion Rock:



At low tide there was plenty of beach for everyone to have fun on:



Most of our older children spent a long time trying out their body boards in the surf:



It was very safe for them especially with RNLI Lifeguards on duty both at the water's edge and on the sea wall:



On our third day the group spent another few hours on the beach and the majority of them had great fun rock pooling:



A few brave grown ups (including me) were tempted into joining the children in the water but it was very cold at 14-16C:



I would definitely recommend Broad Haven beach to families with primary age children as there was so much fun to be had in a safe environment.

17 comments:

  1. It looks like beautiful place and those little chicks are sooooo precious, aww!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab pics, I love the one at sunset. Looks like a brilliant holiday was had by all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like so much fun! I think it would be a great place to take ours when they're a bit older!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic photos! I love the looks of that castle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always super jealous of castle posts! We don't have cool castles in the US. It looks like you had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah MumofThree World30 August 2014 at 06:35

    Our school does its year 6 residential there every year! You talk about a hostel, I think that might even be where the kids stay! My eldest has fond memories of going to Broad Haven, and my younger son is just going into year 6 now, so he has it to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am having beach / sea envy just looking at your photos! Glad you braved the water - I'm not sure I would have. #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great holiday. What is it like staying in a hostel? I often think about it. We haven't had much luck with rock pooling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a voucher to visit a National Trust property so it's interesting to see what there is - I shall ask my boys if they want to go there - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coombe Mill (Fiona)30 August 2014 at 11:23

    How great to be so near to the beach, as you say plenty for the children to do to keep them entertained all day. I'm afraid that my children would also be climbing the lion rock! You are brave for swimming without a wetsuit - I'm sure it was quite chilly. Thanks for linking up and sharing your fun with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coombe Mill (Fiona)30 August 2014 at 11:25

    A beautifully preserved castle to visit and I hope you didn't leave the children in the stocks too long ;). Thanks for linking up and sharing with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks wonderful, the sea is just stunning and so pretty! Looks like lots of fun too, ooh I do love the coast! #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh looks lovely, I do love a good castle! Love the stocks, bring em back for some folk I say ;) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wiwsh I can see a castle like this! Looks like a fun trip for you guys =) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message