Saturday 7 December 2013

#CountryKids at Staveley Winter Festival

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

One of the things I love about my kids going to a village school is that we get involved in lots of village community things. This week it was the Winter Festival which we have been involved with since it started 3 years ago. There is a big eco/green community in the village so there plenty of emphasis on events promoting local businesses and being as carbon neutral as possible. So the winter festival is all about walking around the village to visit both permanent local businesses and to have other ones on stalls in key points. There is also lots of entertainment and a procession through the village to turn on the village hall lights. All in all a great family night (not that I see too much when running a stall!).

This year we were in the Pavilion which is next to the children's playground. I opted for an indoor venue after freezing in the Mill Yard last year, although the atmosphere was fab. The children helped me set-up the stall as we had a mad dash from my day job to get there in time:


Then they both pretty much vanished off to enjoy themselves for the next 4 hours and I only saw them when they wanted food or drink! My daughter had free rein to wander anywhere in the village that things were going on. She had a lot of fun discovering things like a bacon butty stand (she did go and buy me one!) and exploring with her friends. Her little brother was content to be allowed to play in the playground in the dark with his friends...

Periodically we had entertainment in and around the pavilion to attract people to the venue. My daughter enjoyed the story teller who enthralled a large number of children. It was a shame we couldn't hear more of the brass band who played just outside the window though:


We did get a visit from the Fiddling Green Jig Machine who is a one woman band:

Fiddling Green Jig Machine

The other stalls in with me were mostly local crafts and it was hard to resist the art clubs Christmas wreaths:

Christmas wreath

The whole evening is just such a fabulous event and I can't wait for next year, just wish I got to see more of it than the beautiful lights etc outside the pavilion:


14 comments:

  1. fiddling green jig machine i love him!! how cool is he!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo, this looks so, so wonderful!! Laughed at the amazing one woman band and 'hurray' for your daughter bringing you a bacon buttie ;) Loved the pics and the wonderful community spirit and festivity shone through in your words too. Have a wonderful Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara (@mumturnedmom)7 December 2013 at 00:14

    This is lovely. I've found living in a smaller town so wonderful for events like this. Everyone gets involved and there is such a real sense of community. Glad the kids were able to head off and enjoy themselves. #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smaller communities are so great for events aren't they. Sounds like you all had such a good time. I love the Fiddling Green Jig Machine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all our local Christmas events too. We have one very similar in the next door village tomorrow, nothing better to get you in the Christmas spirit and great for giving a little freedom to the kids too. Thanks for sharing your local community on Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa@Poppetandlittle7 December 2013 at 03:30

    Aw this sounds lovely, very Christmassy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought these books. I had a browse in a bookshop, and they were by far and away the best ones, I thought.


    I think the key to talking about puberty is you just have to go for it. It's always better to talk than not, even if you come across as embarrassed and awkward. I motivate myself by holding in mind the alternative, which is that everything they want to know, they will ask Google, or friends. Where would I prefer they get their information?


    I've had good conversations in the car - it's a way of talking without having to make eye contact! You need a long journey, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So wonderful to read about the close community spirit in your village. Fun for kids and even a one-woman band!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah @apartyofseven7 December 2013 at 08:02

    what a wonderful image of community! looks fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jocelyn (@ihavecards)7 December 2013 at 09:22

    It all sounds and looks so lovely - glad you enjoyed :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. had lots of giggles from her today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bookmarking this for a future shopping trip! Curly Girl is not quite 5 yet but time goes by so quickly I know I'm going to need something like this one day - great post x

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message