Friday 30 November 2012

The Dilemma of the Single Working Parent

I was very relieved earlier this to get a term time only part time job. It was great no longer being almost fully reliant on the state. Not receiving maintenance from my ex for the children had meant that we had very little money. The income from my blog was negligible as its mostly in form of review items and days out. I also hadn't reestablished my Usborne book business after moving north.

The job is only 20 hours a week and even though I have to put my children in after school club it is well worth doing both financially and mentally! It left me a couple of hours each morning to get all the chores done and carry on blogging.

Back in September I was offered extra work at another school on a temporary basis to cover staff absence. This seemed like a great idea as it would mean more money. It did mean that I lost 3 mornings in which everything else got done.

Now I'm not sure it's a good thing to be doing. It doesn't really equate to more much more money as of course I'm quite rightly entitled to smaller benefit payments. Unfortunately the way they work these out is confusing and I don't really know what's happening with them. Because my payments from the extra work vary my benefit is different every month and I have to keep visiting the benefits office to prove every change!

The rest of my life seems to be always on the rush. Things aren't getting done and I know that right now my kids need more time with me rather than me getting stressed and being busy. Because the difference in pay isn't really enough to make a huge difference to our lives I am debating axing the extra work. I don't want to be a burden to tax payers but something is going to give if I carry on this way and its probably my sanity!

With my children being my responsibility 7 days a week I do have to put them first.

4 comments:

  1. It is a dilemma. I did some extra hours last month for the college where I work. It should have been an extra 60 quid over my usual salary but I must have crossed a tax threshhold or something as I actually got about 60 quid less overall for putting in 7 hours of extra work. Next time I'm going to check with the bookkeeper there before I agree to do extra work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I luckily hadn't crossed tax threshhold yet! Its a fine balance to work out. I'd forgo the odd takeaway to be less stressed..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice article! It will resonate with a lot of single working parents in Australia too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Single parents same all over world

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message