Saturday 18 September 2010

How not to cook like My Daddy Cooks

My daughter and I were inspired to bake this morning after watching Nick and Archie make their Easy Apple and Raspberry Tray Bake and decided we could make one too... 

So off my daughter went to raid kitchen for the ingredients:

About 400g firm cooking apples or other “sharp” variety daughter doesn't like cookers so used eaters
A punnet of raspberries (we had a handful left in the fridge, hence why we added them to this recipe! You can use as many or as few as you want) none left so omitted
Juice of one lemon had to use lemon juice from bottle
225g plain butter
225g self-raising flour
225g caster sugar only had fine brown sugar
3 large eggs
2-3 heaped tbsp ground almonds I hate almonds so omitted
1 tbsp demerara sugar

As you can see we were going off the recipe already... but daughter attempted to weigh everything out:


So back to the recipe... 

Pre-heat your oven to 180C/350F no problem with that bit!

and grease an 8 inch rectangular baking tin with butter, then line it with baking paper. oh haven't got one of those, hope the square one will do...

Peel the apples and cut them into 5mm slices (no core). Squeeze the lemon juice over the slices and leave them in a bowl until you are ready to use them. after I had sliced them I realised that I had forgotten to peel them - hope that doesn't cause a problem

Meanwhile son is not helping much by knocking scales as daughter is weighing ingredients... table getting rapidly covered in flour and sugar...

Using an electric whisk (or, for complete ease, a food mixer), blend together the sugar and butter until it becomes light and fluffy. the plastic whisk attachments in mixer object to the blending process by bending and coming out of their sockets. Swap them for the dough blade but this doesn't appear to result in light and fluffy cake mix.. Let's go old fashioned and transfer to bowl and wooden spoon:




All the other ingredients were dutifully whisked in.

Pour the mix into the prepared baking tin then add the apples (drained from the lemon juice) and the raspberries. Hmm my mix doesn't pour so I'll spoon it in instead... hmm my cake tin is maybe a little bit too big as mix only just covers the base... I'm sure on the video the apples were in the cake mix and not just on top... oh well...

Sprinkle the demerara sugar on top what is that dark brown stuff coming out with the sugar? who has put coffee granules in the sugar??? oh well I'm sure it won't change the taste...

We baked it in the oven as per directions and this was the result:


Nothing like it did when done by Nick and Archie!! As the proof of the pudding is in the eating and not what it looks like we all agreed it does actually taste yummy, even if my kids won't eat the apples...

Apologies to Nick and to learn how to do this properly please go to My Daddy Cooks and watch and learn. Think I won't be taking up a cookery blog any time soon..




4 comments:

  1. You know what it is the trying that counts, I bake with the boys and sometimes it looks terrible, but at least we try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. as long as it was fun! Looks yummy, how did it taste?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh gosh looks fab. hello! I popped in via the blog hop. we are ready know each other from twitter. love the photos.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people leave a message